Cleeves Factory Grounds Tour

Cleeves Factory Grounds Tour

Built between 1850-1870 as a spinning mill by the Russell family, it was later taken over by the Cleeve family who embarked on the construction of the condenser building, most famously producing Cleeve’s Toffee.

A vast early industrial building complex dominated by a massive limestone factory building, the monolithic scale casts a strong presence on the River Shannon. The freestanding octagonal-plan red brick chimneystack, built c. 1860, was originally 150 feet high making it one of the tallest in Limerick, it now stands at 120 feet.