Open House Tours

The Red Church

Details:

1 & 2pm tours, Sunday October 20th
Two 45min tours
FREE, First Come Basis
Limited Disabled Access

Building:

Lower Mallow Street & Henry Street, V94 XY20
Architect: George Coppinger Ashlin, 1901

Description:

Historical Visionaries: Stories of well-known Limerick landmarks and hidden corners.

A Ruabon brick with Portland stone, former Presbyterian church in Early English Gothic Revival style. 

A very fine red brick and Portland stone former Presbyterian church displaying a wealth of stone carving and ornamentation. Designed by the architect George Coppinger Ashlin (1837-1921) who was in partnership with Thomas Coleman at this time. It is one of the only commissions that Ashlin and Coleman executed for the Presbyterian church and one of the few commissions they carried out in County Limerick. The majority of the firm's work was in Leinster. 

In 1899, opinions were divided as to the effect of the Portland stone dressings against the red brick. It was built to seat 500 persons. The foundation stone laid by the Moderator, the Rev. D.A. Taylor, M.A., in possibly October 1899 and the church was completed in October 1901. It was dedicated possibly in November 1901. It cost £6,000. The builders were Messrs'. John Ryan & Sons, of Limerick and the surveyor was D.W. Morris. 

The conversion to office use has been visually quite sensitive. Now surrounded by high rise modern developments, this former church is of further greater importance to the streetscape and as a reference to the former street fabric.

National Inventory of Architectural Heritage

Related

Open House Tours

The GAFF

1–2pm | Cecil Street | 1hr tour

Open House Tours

Gardens International Office

12 & 1pm | Henry Street | 30min tours

Open House Tours

Saint Michael's Church

2–4pm | Pery Square | 30min tours

Share: